SportsWrath

Another Spags related topic

Virginia Giant

Concerning Spags' future, would he accept after next season, a garunteed head coaching job in say, 2010, meaning he would decline head coaching positions with other teams sooner? Does the Giants franchise have the status of say, the Cowboys? Meaning Garrett is willing to turn down decent jobs, not great, but decent, to one day be assured of becomeing the Cowboys head coach. Being the Boys' head coach is maybe THE coaching job in the NFL. Does the Giants job have that same mystic that would make Spags turn down the Ravens, olphins, Redskins, Falcons or whoever, to wait a couple years to become the Giants head coach?

Just curious

Concerning Spags' future, would he accept after next season, a garunteed head coaching job in say, 2010, meaning he would decline head coaching positions with other teams sooner? Does the Giants franchise have the status of say, the Cowboys? Meaning Garrett is willing to turn down decent jobs, not great, but decent, to one day be assured of becomeing the Cowboys head coach. Being the Boys' head coach is maybe THE coaching job in the NFL. Does the Giants job have that same mystic that would make Spags turn down the Ravens, olphins, Redskins, Falcons or whoever, to wait a couple years to become the Giants head coach?

Just curious

I dont know, because being GB's HC is pretty notable. Really any HC, and I think with what he's accomplished in the nations largest market would be enticing enough.

Well were what the third youngest team in the league? I think Spags realizes with the new three year contract plus the fact he his the highest paid coordinator, that the Giants really want to keep him in the organization. I think he realizes that if he stays those three years he can have a team that he helped built and also knows almost inside and out. I think that would be a better HC job then he could ever get just offered to him.

There is a little risk on our end if we do that too. I mean, what if our D goes down the shithole in 08 and 09 after we guarantee him the '10 job? Just saying.

I say we start grooming one of our LB/DB/DL coaches in the mold of Spags in terms of philosophy

Well were what the third youngest team in the league? I think Spags realizes with the new three year contract plus the fact he his the highest paid coordinator, that the Giants really want to keep him in the organization. I think he realizes that if he stays those three years he can have a team that he helped built and also knows almost inside and out. I think that would be a better HC job then he could ever get just offered to him.

Some of the media has criticized the recent trend of naming successors but it makes total sense to me. If you have a head coach who is going to be retiring soon why not name a successor? The head coach in question already knows their days are numbered by their own accord. The heir apparent like you said learns the team and the team learns them.

This was an inevitable trend given the number of successful teams losing their coordinators to other teams while their own HC was nearing retirement.

There is a little risk on our end if we do that too. I mean, what if our D goes down the shithole in 08 and 09 after we guarantee him the '10 job? Just saying.

I say we start grooming one of our LB/DB/DL coaches in the mold of Spags in terms of philosophy

Thats why I say after the '08 season. He hasn't been given a garuntee yet, but if the Defense perfomrs to the same standard set this year, I see no problem with offering him a garunteed spot in 2010.