Giants keep Spagnuolo, make him NFL's highest-paid D-coordinator

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: February 7, 2008, 12:25 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who interviewed for the Redskins' head coaching job the past three days, has decided to stay in New York.

Spagnuolo was not offered the Redskins job but his agent Bob Lamont said "it didn't matter because his heart is in New York City."

"The Redskins were great ... it was a great interview," Lamont said.

The Giants are also giving Spagnuolo a new three-year contract in excess of $2 million per year, which would make him the league's highest-paid defensive coordinator.

With Spagnuolo out of the running, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel emerges as the leading candidate to get the Redskins job.

Spanuolo left the Washington area Wednesday night after more than 16 hours of talks over two days at owner Dan Snyder's house. He became a hot coaching commodity during the Giants' championship run, which culminated with their 17-14 Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots, even though he had been a coordinator for only one season.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

:TU:

Coughlin has a honeymoon year this year. There's no way he leaves after 08.

I never said he was. There is no reason to promise anything to Spags but a new contract for more money. Give him another year to show it wasn't a one-year fluke and

He really isn't a strong HC candidate right now because he has next to no experience with offense. Up until this past season his focus was on a small group of position players. He has one season of coaching half the team. Another season and he does well THEN promise him HC when TC retires.

I never said he was. There is no reason to promise anything to Spags but a new contract for more money. Give him another year to show it wasn't a one-year fluke and

He really isn't a strong HC candidate right now because he has next to no experience with offense. Up until this past season his focus was on a small group of position players. He has one season of coaching half the team. Another season and he does well THEN promise him HC when TC retires.

I agree with that completely, but the only problem is that some desperate team next season will offer him HC, and he won't refuse to be top dog 2 years in a row. But maybe he loves NY enough to accept being the highest paid DC for like 2 more years, maybe 3 and then take over for Tom.

But maybe he loves NY enough to accept being the highest paid DC for like 2 more years, maybe 3 and then take over for Tom.

"His heart is in New York City," Spagnuolo's agent, Bob Lamonte, told The Associated Press. "He loves the ownership. He loves the players. He feels he has to stay there."

Granted that is what you would expect an agent to say, but I for one like to think it is the truth. The players love him back, ownership clearly has shown they are committed to him and believe he does a tremendous job. Hangin with Snyder I think was to get the experience (which I have said before was a great thing for him that he couldn't pass up) and to drive up the price the Giants will pay to keep him. Plus I am sure Snyder schmoozed him with nice meals.

Granted that is what you would expect an agent to say, but I for one like to think it is the truth. The players love him back, ownership clearly has shown they are committed to him and believe he does a tremendous job. Hangin with Snyder I think was to get the experience (which I have said before was a great thing for him that he couldn't pass up) and to drive up the price the Giants will pay to keep him. Plus I am sure Snyder schmoozed him with nice meals.

Also, he has a bunch of stars on Defense.. that can only get better with this upcoming draft... What he has in New York is a sure thing... he's not the new kid on the block anymore and let's face it.. who would anyone rather work for.. the Tiches/Maras or Snyder?

Also, he has a bunch of stars on Defense.. that can only get better with this upcoming draft... What he has in New York is a sure thing... he's not the new kid on the block anymore and let's face it.. who would anyone rather work for.. the Tiches/Maras or Snyder?

Plus the fans love him. After Lewis the fans were craving for a classic Giants aggressive defense, knowing we had the talent, and Spags brought what I know I love.