SportsWrath

Arrogant Pukes

Lubeck

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10617721

Pats pick poor time to stop eating humble pie

Mike Freeman Feb. 4, 2008

By Mike Freeman

CBSSports.com National Columnist

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- This is why the New England Patriots lost Super Bowl XLII: They were more arrogant than a supermodel wearing a string bikini.

Before the Giants mounted their final drive, the one resulting in Eli Manning becoming a legend and Mercury Morris erupting in a boyish chuckle, Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour told New York's Amani Toomer: "Get ready to go home."

Arrogant.

After the 17-14 Giants victory, the Patriot arrogance didn't stop. Wide receiver Randy Moss praised the Giants but couldn't help taking a shot at them at the same time. Asked about New York's defense, Moss said, "I don't think their secondary ... it's ordinary."

It's ordinary? It just shut your offense down, hoss.

When asked later how good New York's defense was, Moss again took a not-so-veiled shot at the Giants secondary that mostly held the Patriots in check.

"How good was their front four or how good was their defense?" Moss asked.

Damn arrogant.

In their Super Bowl victories, the Patriots were not like this. They were dedicated, they laid low. Even this year they were supposedly eating humble pie.

This time, with 19-0 within New England's reach, when they needed their humility and dedication the most, it wasn't there.

They lost 19-0 and a chance at immortality because in the biggest moment they strayed from the Patriot way. Instead of intensity, there was cockiness. Instead of humility, there was foolish bragging. No Bill Belichick team has ever been full of itself but these Patriots were.

"Basically what gets me is we didn't match their intensity," said Moss of the Giants. "They played harder than us from start to finish."

The Super Bowl was opposite world. Tom Brady was awful, Eli Manning was bionic, the Patriots were sloppy and Mr. Tom Petty was good.

You waited for the Patriots to turn on the faucet and the points to flow. It was going to happen any minute. Here it comes ... here it comes. Moss was going to break out of his funk and Bill Belichick's big brain would figure out a way to remove the Patriots from their sticky jam and uninspired performance.

None of that ever happened.

The Patriots couldn't pick up a blitz, complete a pass when they needed to or run the ball. They forgot, for a bit, they had this great slot dude named Wes Welker. The Giants made it seem like Belichick was sucking on a blankie rather than sporting a hoodie.

Call it The Curse of Matt Walsh.

What began as the most boring Super Bowl ever -- in which you needed hard liquor to tolerate it and longed for Janet Jackson's nipple -- finished as one of the more exciting as the Giants ended the Patriots' trek toward perfection.

In the end, we got Maya Angelou after three quarters of Carmen Electra.

So 19-0 is dead and somewhere Mercury Morris is laughing his ass off.

I can't believe what I just saw.

Plaxico Burress said no one gave them a chance to win and he's right, few did. So take a bow, Burress.

The Giants completely outplayed New England and this is something I thought I'd never say about a Belichick-coached team: The Patriots were completely outsmarted and outcoached.

"This hurts a lot," said Asante Samuel. "It's heartbreaking."

What's most puzzling is why the Patriots picked now, at 18-0, to morph into the anti-Patriots. Moss was puzzled as well. He said repeatedly how the Giants played with far more urgency and intensity. The question is: Why?

New England had to know that the Giants would throw everything they had at them. Not only because it was the Super Bowl but also because the Patriots were on the verge of going 19-0. The Giants weren't going to be another carcass on the road.

I'm not sure if the Patriots fully comprehended just how much they were hated by not only the Giants but many across the football world.

"A lot of people didn't want us to win this game," Moss said. When I asked him to explain further, Moss said, "We were the top dog. There (was) a lot of hype. I thought a lot of people got tired of talking about us."

Namely the Giants. But why didn't New England anticipate this?

Because they got a little full of themselves, that's why.

The arrogance wasn't just Moss and Seymour. It was Belichick as well. As much as I like Belichick, his actions in the final seconds of the game were boorish at best and arrogant at worse.

With two seconds left on the clock Belichick headed to the field for his handshake ... and then bolted. He didn't have the sportsmanship and decency to wait until the clock hit zero. It was yet a further display of arrogance by a franchise that has long been one of the models in sports.

I still believe Belichick is the best coach in football history but he clearly erred in the biggest game of his life in not getting the Patriots more emotionally buttressed for what was going to be a sky-high, extremely motivated Giants team.

Now 19-0 is dead because the Patriots were already shining the Lombardi Trophy before the game was over.

"You're going home," Seymour told the Giants on that final drive.

That's true. They're going home champions.

While the Patriots are heading back 18-1.

Mercury Morris is still chuckling.

Before the Giants mounted their final drive, the one resulting in Eli Manning becoming a legend and Mercury Morris erupting in a boyish chuckle, Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour told New York's Amani Toomer: "Get ready to go home."

PERFECT example as to why you don't talk trash during a game.

PERFECT example as to why you don't talk trash during a game.

And he is choking on those words right now as he boards the charter home.

I wonder what will happen to all that ticker-tape for the Boston parade....will they have a parade in Ethiopia celebrating the arrival of the Pats 19-0 gear? What about all those books.....are they going to hold a bonefire?

I wonder what will happen to all that ticker-tape for the Boston parade....will they have a parade in Ethiopia celebrating the arrival of the Pats 19-0 gear? What about all those books.....are they going to hold a bonefire?

I am just so glad that Boston now has to bend over and take it right up the ass with no lube. :TU:

:LMAO::LMAO:

:clap:

Fuck them sore losers. NO ONE, except GB and thier fans, have given us respect as the better team. Dallas, NE......they think its because THEY screwed up, not us beating them. FUCK ALL NON BELIEVERS!

He looked like he was taking some plays off last night. The Moss of old, he didn't get the ball enough and he starts quitting on his team.

Now you know why him and Bellicheck get along so well. They're both arrogant and they both leave games early.

:LMAO::LMAO:

:clap:

Fuck them sore losers. NO ONE, except GB and thier fans, have given us respect as the better team. Dallas, NE......they think its because THEY screwed up, not us beating them. FUCK ALL NON BELIEVERS!

And Greenbay is an old line team with a sportsmans pedigree. Not these expansion teams and NFL wannabe former AFL teams. They have a long storied history like the Giants, Bears, Steelers, Colts, Browns, Eagles, Skins and Lions. They don't have to down an opponent to feel good about themselves.

And Greenbay is an old line team with a sportsmans pedigree. Not these expansion teams and NFL wannabe former AFL teams. They have a long storied history like the Giants, Bears, Steelers, Colts, Browns, Eagles, Skins and Lions. They don't have to down an opponent to feel good about themselves.

Thats so true. My son (Im so proud) and I were just discussing this. How being a TRUE fan makes the SB victories that much sweeter. Dont get me wrong, I talk shit to the Skins, boys and eagles, but its more of a div rival hate thing than anything.

He looked like he was taking some plays off last night. The Moss of old, he didn't get the ball enough and he starts quitting on his team.

He did seem to dog it a few times. That's his true colours though; just like TO. When things are going great he is the perfect teammate but if things go south he'll quit and sulk.