SportsWrath

Coach Coughlin

xxi-xxv

Clearly gets an extension. Guy did such a good job this year its mind boggling to think where he was 12 months ago. Our best coach since Parcells IMO and quite possibly(with the exception of stopping the 3 peat in 1990 in San Fran)this may have been the best playoff coaching job by a Giant coach EVER. Beating three teams on the road, including the #1 and #2 seeds. As good a job as we may ever see.

Does this put an end to the Coughlin/Fassel debate already? Or do the Fassel supporters still claim that he took us to a Super Bowl, too, so Coughlin has to win to be considered better? To me, it's a no brainer. This is a much better team than Fassel ever coached, and it's not because of the talent level. We have eliminated the stupid penalties, which were a trademark of the Fassel era, and that in itself makes Coughlin a better coach (not to mention the playoff appearances, Super Bowl, etc.).

Does this put an end to the Coughlin/Fassel debate already? Or do the Fassel supporters still claim that he took us to a Super Bowl, too, so Coughlin has to win to be considered better? To me, it's a no brainer. This is a much better team than Fassel ever coached, and it's not because of the talent level. We have eliminated the stupid penalties, which were a trademark of the Fassel era, and that in itself makes Coughlin a better coach (not to mention the playoff appearances, Super Bowl, etc.).

We wouldn't even be having this conversation of Eli didn't come out of his shell. Not that I'm a Fassel fan, of course.

It won't end the debate. Coughlin is here 4 years, Fassel was here 7. It's not a no brainer at all. I already acknowledged Coughlin had a good season and he deserves an extension. But to say that it took 3 1/2 season to eliminate penalties (which have been a trademark of the Coughlin era so far also), does not make Coughlin better.

Plus the talent level is beter now, no question. To consider otherwise is ridiculous, I'm sorry.

To me, the mark of a good coach is it's special teams. So far Coughlin's special

teams have been far superior than Fassel's.

Plus the talent level is beter now, no question. To consider otherwise is ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Here's where we disagree. I think Coughlin has done a great job of developing the talent that has been provided. I think Fassel had some very talented players, he just wasn't real good at getting the most out of them.

Here's where we disagree. I think Coughlin has done a great job of developing the talent that has been provided. I think Fassel had some very talented players, he just wasn't real good at getting the most out of them.

We never aggressively pursued free agents in the Fassel era like we do now. One season they went haywire and started picking up guys like Lomas Brown etc the year we went to the superbowl;, but that was pretty much it. Ernie would never have traded for a QB like he did for Eli. The Giants philosophy for free agency changed drastically when Coughlin came in.

The year that the Giants went to the Super Bowl in 2000, this years team would have done the same. The NFC was so weak that year in was pathetic and in actuality, the Giants lucked out when the Rams were beaten in RD1, they would have beaten the Giants in the divisional round in 2000, no question. The 2000 team also had plenty of free agents, three along the O-line(Zeigler, Brown, Parker) and 2 on defense(Barrow and Thomas, who sucked, but started nonetheless).

I am not debating the Fassel thing here, but there is no question that Coughlin is a far superior coach to Fassel. I do not even think it is debateable at this point. Coughlin has proven he is in the upper echelon of NFL coaches, quite frankly comparing him to a guy who cannot even get a coordinators job is an insult.

The Giants philosophy for free agency changed drastically when Coughlin came in.

Not this year, as they signed a grand total of 1, LB Kawika Mitchell, whom no one wanted for 1 year and 1 million.

I do not think the free agent philosophy changed as much as they figured out how to manage the cap and keep their own players, that was always the issue, overpaying our own free agents and having no room left over.

We never aggressively pursued free agents in the Fassel era like we do now. One season they went haywire and started picking up guys like Lomas Brown etc the year we went to the superbowl;, but that was pretty much it. Ernie would never have traded for a QB like he did for Eli. The Giants philosophy for free agency changed drastically when Coughlin came in.

Not picking a fight with you, Boo, but did we get Collins as trade or FA? I don't remember.

I think they both proved that you need a good staff of assistants and a good QB to be a 'genius' coach.

That they did.