SportsWrath

Already, more excuses for Eli

feefifoefum

Coughlin said some of Eli Manning's off-target throws during this camp probably were the result of trying out some new footwork. "It will take a little while," Coughlin said. . . .

He's been playing QB since he was born, how long is it going to take??

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007/sport...ul_schwartz.htm

He's been playing QB since he was born, how long is it going to take??

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007/sport...ul_schwartz.htm

Well, if you've been playing football since you were a kid, and suddenly at 25 or 26, they start tinkering with your footwork, it probly would cause some bad throws. But hopefully, in the long run this works like Tiki's hiolding style change worked.

Well, if you've been playing football since you were a kid, and suddenly at 25 or 26, they start tinkering with your footwork, it probly would cause some bad throws. But hopefully, in the long run this works like Tiki's hiolding style change worked.

He's been making bad throws since he's been here. He's just not an accurate QB, and now the new excuse is the "new footwork". This is starting to remind of the Vick apologists who keep telling us it takes a while to learn the West Coast Offense.

He's been making bad throws since he's been here. He's just not an accurate QB, and now the new excuse is the "new footwork". This is starting to remind of the Vick apologists who keep telling us it takes a while to learn the West Coast Offense.

He's not making apologies or excuses. He probably wouldn't have addressed it at all if not prodded by the media.

Yes changing a guys footwork is going to affect his play.

If they're attempting to make some improvements with Eli's game, why criticize them for passing that info along when the media inquires of it?

Sure Eli's made some bad throws here. He's also made some incredible throws.

His problem is consistency. At least they're trying something to improve his game.

Man I cant stand Eli haters. He's the best damn QB we have had year for year since YA. A divisional title, and 2 playoff appearences, with zero defense, and people have the nerve to bitch. Im just glad guys like Cower didnt end up in NY, you all would have been calling for his head over the last 20 years. Is Eli his brother? Of course not. But then no one in the history of the league is either. But the kid has talent, and if our defense wasnt half injured last year, everyone would be on Eli's nutz right now.

And hes been makin some really nice ones too, esp. in the 4th quarter.

He's not making apologies or excuses. He probably wouldn't have addressed it at all if not prodded by the media.

Yes changing a guys footwork is going to affect his play.

If they're attempting to make some improvements with Eli's game, why criticize them for passing that info along when the media inquires of it?

Sure Eli's made some bad throws here. He's also made some incredible throws.

His problem is consistency. At least they're trying something to improve his game.

I think his real problem is his nerve. He's too jumpy when pressured, and backpedals away from defenders, or turns his body after releasing the ball to not take a hit. He doesn't stand firm and follow through properly in order to get the best results. Sure, you can change his footwork in training camp, but will that translate on the field when it counts? Not if he keeps playing scared. Everyone talks about the game in Philly last season, and don't get me wrong, Eli won that game for us, but his last pass was a heave and a prayer in which he turned away from taking the hit and just chucked it. It worked THAT time, because Plax was single covered and had his man beat, but Eli does this all the time even when the Giants do not have the advantage.

I like Eli, and have defended him for a while now, but we all can see that he needs to improve drastically in order to be the player we all think he can be. No more excuses...

Everyone talks about the game in Philly last season, and don't get me wrong, Eli won that game for us, but his last pass was a heave and a prayer in which he turned away from taking the hit and just chucked it. It worked THAT time, because Plax was single covered and had his man beat, but Eli does this all the time even when the Giants do not have the advantage.

There is a QB in Green Bay that has made a career out of doing just that......

Eli won that game for us, but his last pass was a heave and a prayer in which he turned away from taking the hit and just chucked it. It worked THAT time, because Plax was single covered and had his man beat, but Eli does this all the time even when the Giants do not have the advantage.

Look at that play again, you may take note that Eli had no protection on that play.

He had basically 2 seconds after the snap to make that throw.

He didn't turn away from the hit. He turned after throwing to keep his throwing arm from getting hit.

Anyway, that throw won us the game, not to mention all the throws that got us back into that game in the first place. You could find a better example to complain about.

Look at that play again, you may take note that Eli had no protection on that play.

He had basically 2 seconds after the snap to make that throw.

He didn't turn away from the hit. He turned after throwing to keep his throwing arm from getting hit.

Anyway, that throw won us the game, not to mention all the throws that got us back into that game in the first place. You could find a better example to complain about.

Like I said, he does this all the time, and my point was that it worked THAT ONE time.

I want to see him play the way he did in the second half of last year's playoff game. When he's moving around, and sliding away from guys in the pocket, he's at his best. NOT when he's backpedalling and turning away from getting hit.

he has a new qb coach that is trying to change him totally from what he was... of course its going to take time.... have you every played golf and gone to a lesson where they try to change faults in your swing... more times then not you are going to hit shanks before you start hitting it pure... its the same thing with throwing the football

Like I said, he does this all the time, and my point was that it worked THAT ONE time.

He does it a lot, not all the time. Kerry Collins did it ALL the time.

Eli has also made some beautiful plays as well.

I want to see him play the way he did in the second half of last year's playoff game. When he's moving around, and sliding away from guys in the pocket, he's at his best. NOT when he's backpedalling and turning away from getting hit.

Sounds like you want the coaches to work on his FOOTWORK. :confused:

He does it a lot, not all the time. Kerry Collins did it ALL the time.

Eli has also made some beautiful plays as well.

Sounds like you want the coaches to work on his FOOTWORK. :confused:

Sure, I never said it was a bad thing, but don't tell me he's being inaccurate because they are working on his footwork. They are working on his footwork because he's been inaccurate.

I just get the feeling that if he has another mediocre, or bad season, we will hear...

"Well, Eli did try some new things this year, give him some time."

Favre has taken a lot of chances, he's NEVER shied away from the defenders closing in on him.

He has always been the type of QB to just chuck it deep and hope for the best....especially if he is under pressure.

I think a new QB coach is just what Eli needs, someone to work on his footwork and mechanics. Gilbrite as OC should help out too, tailor the play calling to eli's strengths.

The other big factor this year will be his Recievers... Will Plax show up every play? Can Moss or Smith step up and become a threat? How will Toomer recover from his injury? How many balls in the hands will Shockey Drop? Can BJ be threat to catch short passes out of the backfield, and can he pick up the blitzer?

Sure, I never said it was a bad thing, but don't tell me he's being inaccurate because they are working on his footwork. They are working on his footwork because he's been inaccurate.

I just get the feeling that if he has another mediocre, or bad season, we will hear...

"Well, Eli did try some new things this year, give him some time."

Come on dude. If they're making excuses at the end of the year you'd have a valid point. But it's minicamp, and it just started, and obviously they're working on his mechanics.

Come on dude. If they're making excuses at the end of the year you'd have a valid point. But it's minicamp, and it just started, and obviously they're working on his mechanics.

There are always excuses made for him. "He's a rookie, he's young, it's his first full season, it's his second full season, it's not easy to pass at Giants Stadium, the defense did it."...

My point is valid, I believe, because he's been a Giant for 3+ years and has always been inaccurate. If he were an accurate passer before, and now started having problems, I'd believe it was the result of what they're doing now. The real truth is, they realize he has had some problems, and are finally trying to correct them. That's great, it's about time.

There are always excuses made for him. "He's a rookie, he's young, it's his first full season, it's his second full season, it's not easy to pass at Giants Stadium, the defense did it."...

My point is valid, I believe, because he's been a Giant for 3+ years and has always been inaccurate. If he were an accurate passer before, and now started having problems, I'd believe it was the result of what they're doing now. The real truth is, they realize he has had some problems, and are finally trying to correct them. That's great, it's about time.

Rookie QB-that's one excuse given to every qb out of college who finds themselves starting the first year.

Young QB- ditto.

His first full season he was 11-5 and had made some beautiful fourth quarter comebacks to get there. Who was making excuses for that?

we won the division and he helped get us in the playoffs.

If you're talking about his first playoff game, that's a different story. That excuse is made for nearly every QB in their first playoff appearance.

3rd year- yeah he was atrocious after toomer went down. Toomer was his safety net. Somehow we still made the playoffs and he still threw 24 TD's. Phil Simms never threw more than 22.

One thing you should note is that Eli gets more accurate and efficient in the red zone. Most qb's are just the opposite.

Rookie QB-that's one excuse given to every qb out of college who finds themselves starting the first year.

Young QB- ditto.

His first full season he was 11-5 and had made some beautiful fourth quarter comebacks to get there. Who was making excuses for that?

we won the division and he helped get us in the playoffs.

If you're talking about his first playoff game, that's a different story. That excuse is made for nearly every QB in their first playoff appearance.

3rd year- yeah he was atrocious after toomer went down. Toomer was his safety net. Somehow we still made the playoffs and he still threw 24 TD's. Phil Simms never threw more than 22.

One thing you should note is that Eli gets more accurate and efficient in the red zone. Most qb's are just the opposite.

I think we all can agree that he needs to get better if our Giants are going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm just tired of hearing excuses why he hasn't lived up to the hype. Everyone wants to compare him to other "great" QBs when they were young, but most had made significant strides by their third season. Eli hasn't, and already he has an excuse for why his throws are off in his 4th training camp.

I'm rooting for the guy, and I really do like him. He's a stand up guy who never pointed fingers while turmoil loomed all around him last year. I like the way he fought in the playoff game against Philly, and put us in a position to win at the end. I just think the team is blowing smoke up everyone's asses when they say his problem this year is caused by new methods, when it's the same problem he's had since he's been here.

There needs to be a new Offensive system in place for Eli to flourish. Shorter passes, quicker tempo in and out of the huddle, no huddle offense (at times), run the ball more, draft possesion recievers or acquire one.

Toomer is his 'safety blanket', hopefully S. Smith becomes that too. Can Shockey be more involved a la 70 receptions?? We will see?

No to make excuses but this chuck it up for Plax works less than 55% of the time. I'd like to see the intermiediate passing game. I believe with a healthty Toomer, a healthy Moss, and Steve Smith growing....the possesion intermediate passing attack can work. Eli can increase his completion percentage, maintain 24-26 TDs a season AND cut back on INTs.

There needs to be a new Offensive system in place for Eli to flourish. Shorter passes, quicker tempo in and out of the huddle, no huddle offense (at times), run the ball more, draft possesion recievers or acquire one.

Agreed. Why we're not trying that is beyond me. Last year it was deep pass after deep pass. Only a quarter of it successful. So much of it on first down too. And Eli does very well with the no huddle. I guess because it doesn't give him enough time to think.

We've got the receivers to make plays, just dump it off short and let 'em do their thing.

Agreed. Why we're not trying that is beyond me. Last year it was deep pass after deep pass. Only a quarter of it successful. So much of it on first down too. And Eli does very well with the no huddle. I guess because it doesn't give him enough time to think.

We've got the receivers to make plays, just dump it off short and let 'em do their thing.

:clap:

Shockey, Toomer, Bradshaw and Steve Smith can all catch short passes and make it happen! I can't forget S. Moss (if healthy) did show flashes of making it happen after a catch.