SportsWrath

Well it looks like that time has come.

njsmalls

When it seems that things are coming together, the Yankees offense begins to struggle. They got to get some wins in a row. But from the looks of things they are going to make it real hard on themselves to get a wild card spot. Our division champion streak will probably end this year, it has to happen sometime.

I can't tell where we are. But in another 4 weeks we'll know.

The starting pitching problem we ironed out by signing Roger.

The bullpen issue in some ways to overblown. Proctor hasn't given up a run in his last 5 appearances. Farnsworth is Farsworth - he will give you 70-80% quality appearances. He is who he is. I'm not ready to write Mo off yet. I think we'll be okay if we cycle in arms that perform; we have guys like Britton who are in the wings and Rasner, etc, will become spare arms. I'd like to see Joe have arms that go out there and can go 2IP.

Johnny D can hit when he's healthy. But that's not too often with his fragile body and kamikaze play. Jason's heel is something to be concerned about; outside of ARod, he's our main source of power. Matsui still has a 0.394 OBP. But I brought up age as a major issue, and if performance is falling off because of it, we're screwed.

In terms of competitiveness, Boston is playing really good ball right now and they've opened up a healthy lead. However, Schilling, Beckett and Wakefield are due for a statistical correction. Dmats is half full or half empty. Boston fans say if he figures out the strike zone, look out. I say once the hitters see him enough and figure out his strike zone, look out. And they don't have a #5. Okajima has been stellar, but he has had an ERA >4 in 2 of his last 4 years in Japan.

There is one common theme on the Boston team - a lot of those guys are either old or haven't played that much, so they are not built for the second half (Youkilis, Lowell). The key thing this month is cut the lead to 6 games. If it grows to 10, we could be in trouble. Personally, I look at their starting 8 and think WTF, how are they piling up runs with 3 0.700 OPS hitters and a lead-off batter with a 0.340 OBP.

Keep in mind that the goal is to get to the post season. We're 4.5 games back in the wildcard. The goal is to get to the post season and unleash Wang, Roger, Andy and Hughes.

So it's good to be concerned, especially with our BRUTAL upcoming schedule( White Sox, Mets, Red Sox, Angels) but I wouldn't quite push the panic button. In 4 weeks we'll know where we stand.

I can't tell where we are. But in another 4 weeks we'll know.

The starting pitching problem we ironed out by signing Roger.

The bullpen issue in some ways to overblown. Proctor hasn't given up a run in his last 5 appearances. Farnsworth is Farsworth - he will give you 70-80% quality appearances. He is who he is. I'm not ready to write Mo off yet. I think we'll be okay if we cycle in arms that perform; we have guys like Britton who are in the wings and Rasner, etc, will become spare arms. I'd like to see Joe have arms that go out there and can go 2IP.

Johnny D can hit when he's healthy. But that's not too often with his fragile body and kamikaze play. Jason's heel is something to be concerned about; outside of ARod, he's our main source of power. Matsui still has a 0.394 OBP. But I brought up age as a major issue, and if performance is falling off because of it, we're screwed.

In terms of competitiveness, Boston is playing really good ball right now and they've opened up a healthy lead. However, Schilling, Beckett and Wakefield are due for a statistical correction. Dmats is half full or half empty. Boston fans say if he figures out the strike zone, look out. I say once the hitters see him enough and figure out his strike zone, look out. And they don't have a #5. Okajima has been stellar, but he has had an ERA >4 in 2 of his last 4 years in Japan.

There is one common theme on the Boston team - a lot of those guys are either old or haven't played that much, so they are not built for the second half (Youkilis, Lowell). The key thing this month is cut the lead to 6 games. If it grows to 10, we could be in trouble. Personally, I look at their starting 8 and think WTF, how are they piling up runs with 3 0.700 OPS hitters and a lead-off batter with a 0.340 OBP.

Keep in mind that the goal is to get to the post season. We're 4.5 games back in the wildcard. The goal is to get to the post season and unleash Wang, Roger, Andy and Hughes.

So it's good to be concerned, especially with our BRUTAL upcoming schedule( White Sox, Mets, Red Sox, Angels) but I wouldn't quite push the panic button. In 4 weeks we'll know where we stand.

The only sensible positive post I have read about the Yankees lately..... good job! Now can you get into Torre's office and tell this to him..... I don't think he knows this.

Mets get their first ever sweep of the Yankees this weekend.

:brooding: I don't know about a sweep but I will give the Mets this..... they will win 1 game. :P

The only sensible positive post I have read about the Yankees lately..... good job! Now can you get into Torre's office and tell this to him..... I don't think he knows this.

:brooding: I don't know about a sweep but I will give the Mets this..... they will win 1 game. :P

Bastard. :brooding:

One thing as an outsider that watches the Yankees and tries to be objective(despite the good natured ribbing weall do) is that they seem to be prolonging the inevitable. You look around and other than Jeter(who will be 33) and Arod(who will be 32) I really do not seen anyone in their prime. Sure all are good players, but the best years are well behind guys like Damon, Abreu, Giambi, Posada(despite his torrid start in 06) Mussina, Pettite, Matsui etc. Seems to me like maybe it would not be such a bad thing if they did not make the playoffs and maybe were sellers at the trading deadline. With Damons are I wonder if hs best postion is now DH on a team that needs a bat, ditto with Giambi. Not a knock on them, but maybe its time to turn the page on te 4 out of 6 teams and move on and get younger, build a young team around vets Jeter and Arod. IMO Cano and Melky are great start.

One thing as an outsider that watches the Yankees and tries to be objective(despite the good natured ribbing weall do) is that they seem to be prolonging the inevitable. You look around and other than Jeter(who will be 33) and Arod(who will be 32) I really do not seen anyone in their prime. Sure all are good players, but the best years are well behind guys like Damon, Abreu, Giambi, Posada(despite his torrid start in 06) Mussina, Pettite, Matsui etc. Seems to me like maybe it would not be such a bad thing if they did not make the playoffs and maybe were sellers at the trading deadline. With Damons are I wonder if hs best postion is now DH on a team that needs a bat, ditto with Giambi. Not a knock on them, but maybe its time to turn the page on te 4 out of 6 teams and move on and get younger, build a young team around vets Jeter and Arod. IMO Cano and Melky are great start.

you wont get an arguememet from me...I agree 100% the yankees age is haunting them this year more than ever..Posada is the only oe that seems to get better with age. he really doesnt get enough recognition

All due respect, but what right now does anyone know or expect to know of Phil Hughes. a pitcher whom the organization had no plans to rush in 2007. A great 7 innings vs the Rangers notwithstanding its a little premature to declare he will be "unleashed" in the post season with those other 3 guys as long as a guy named Mussina is still there and Hughes is really still the unknown at this point.

All due respect, but what right now does anyone know or expect to know of Phil Hughes. a pitcher whom the organization had no plans to rush in 2007. A great 7 innings vs the Rangers notwithstanding its a little premature to declare he will be "unleashed" in the post season with those other 3 guys as long as a guy named Mussina is still there and Hughes is really still the unknown at this point.

Hughes is one thing, what about our awful BP? I really dont care if we had the 4 best pitchers of 07, if we dont have a BP with the way Torre over reacts to everything, we still dont go anywhere.

I hear you, I didnt want him rushed either, but he's our best option and he does have the stuff to be a factor. he is a question amrk, but I feel like he will do well......only time will tell

Come on man, do you know your Mets? What happened in 2004?

I was in Israel during it though. The one time! <_<

I knew that, but since you were in Israel, it doesn't officially count. Yeah, that's what I meant. :unsure:

Hughes is one thing, what about our awful BP? I really dont care if we had the 4 best pitchers of 07, if we dont have a BP with the way Torre over reacts to everything, we still dont go anywhere.

The bullpen really isnt that bad

If Mo comes in 5 games and pitches 5 innings and gives up 0 runs versus coming ina pitching 1/3 of an inning and giving up 5 runs, then his ERA is 8.44.

So does Mo suck or did he just have a bad day?

A reliever comes in in one of 3 situations: a lead, behind or tied. If we use my criteria of quality appearance for a reliever which is:

Lead:

- does not give up a run

- does not allow a lead to decrease <3 runs

Tie

- does not give up the go ahead run

- gives up 1 run in >=3IP

Behind

- pitches to an ERA <3.5

Britton: 100% (only 2 appearances)

Bruney: 90%

Myers: 89.5%

Proctor: 75%

Farnsworth: 75%

Henn: 75% (12 out of 16)

Mo: 71%

Vizcaino: 57.9%

A good reliever should do 80%.

Vizcaino is embarassing and I have no idea why he's still with the team and not in AAA or DFA'd...Chris Britton is a MUCH better option. I guess Cashman needs to show they got something more than a bag of balls for Randy Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...