SportsWrath

Samuel gets tagged by Pats

gateb

So what does it mean exactly to be tagged? Is it that the team that tags has the right to match any offer?

Every NFL team is allowed to Franchise tag one player on their team. Once a team 'Tags' a player, that player cannot leave the team and makes the average salaries of highest top 5 paid player in his position. So, in another words, we're fucked. :brooding:

Every NFL team is allowed to Franchise tag one player on their team. Once a team 'Tags' a player, that player cannot leave the team and makes the average salaries of highest top 5 paid player in his position. So, in another words, we're fucked. :brooding:

Well it just means we can't sign the top LB in Free Agency that's all. Honestly, I'd rather get solid players than spend the money on 2 great players.

So what does it mean exactly to be tagged? Is it that the team that tags has the right to match any offer?

It's basically a 1 year deal that cannot be refused by the player, however he is garunteed to make the average of the top few players at his position.

What you're thinking of is restricted free agency, where any team can make an offer on a player, but the team he played for the previous year has the right to match that offer, also RFA means if a player signs with another club, that club has to give the team compensation.

It's basically a 1 year deal that cannot be refused by the player, however he is garunteed to make the average of the top few players at his position.

What you're thinking of is restricted free agency, where any team can make an offer on a player, but the team he played for the previous year has the right to match that offer, also RFA means if a player signs with another club, that club has to give the team compensation.

So now that Briggs and Samuels are out of the picture, who's left.. Clement and?

So now that Briggs and Samuels are out of the picture, who's left.. Clement and?

There's a few out there, but Clements at CB and Thomas and June at OLB are the big names. I just don't see us dropping the kind of money it will take to get Clements here on one player. I could see us signing Cato June (olb colts) and maybe Nick Harper (CB Colts).

Reese might opt to sign alot of the mid grade talent instead of breaking the bank for 1 or 2 guys.

Draft Defense, Pay for Offense. We should be concentrating on receiver and RB in free agency.

I think we should balance though. We know for sure our D needs help both immediate and long term. Our offense was doing well. It was our D that couldn't stop anyone.

I think we should balance though. We know for sure our D needs help both immediate and long term. Our offense was doing well. It was our D that couldn't stop anyone.

we have a better track record building defense through the draft

we have trouble locating offensive talent thru the draft, especially receivers.

it's hard to tell whether defensive standouts are true talents or part of the system. case in point: briggs, take him away from urlacher and the bear system, is he a standout?

it's hard to tell whether defensive standouts are true talents or part of the system. case in point: briggs, take him away from urlacher and the bear system, is he a standout?

I agree with you on this BLU, but I'd include offensive line also through the draft. If the Giants pick def or offensive line every year with the first pick, I'd be happy.

And the point about Urlacher is true, but I feel it's a case of neither guy is as effective without the other next to him.

Excellent take. Just another reason why we have to focus heavily on defense in the draft but we still need something immediate to fill major holes.