SportsWrath

Dave Williams may miss first two months.

Blue Jeans

News: Williams May Miss First Two Months

by Regis Courtemanche at 01:27PM (EST) on February 2, 2007 | Permanent Link

According to Ken Davidoff at Newsday, LHP Dave Williams could miss the first two months of the regular season.

Davidoff notes that Mets GM Omar Minaya recently said Williams, who underwent surgery Wednesday to repair a herniated disc in his neck, may be out until June.

This sucks, I thought he was probably going to walk away with a starting job, now he'll have to work himself back up. I really like Williams and now we're one pitcher short with not so many great options.

This sucks, I thought he was probably going to walk away with a starting job, now he'll have to work himself back up. I really like Williams and now we're one pitcher short with not so many great options.

He may miss two months, not really a big deal.

He was just one of a handful that was going to fight for a spot on the roster. It seems like we have quite a few guys like this. 3 starting spots are going to be filled by Maine, Perez and 3 to 4 other guys battling for the 5th spot. I liked Williams when he was up last year, and he can come back in mid June to July if we need him. I don't think this is the end of the world.

He was just one of a handful that was going to fight for a spot on the roster. It seems like we have quite a few guys like this. 3 starting spots are going to be filled by Maine, Perez and 3 to 4 other guys battling for the 5th spot. I liked Williams when he was up last year, and he can come back in mid June to July if we need him. I don't think this is the end of the world.

What does it say about our pitching situation that losing a guy who posted a 6.52 ERA last season causes concern? :ph34r:

I actually think the Mets will have a decent rotation with Glavine, The Duke, Maine, Perez/Pelfrey/Humber/Sosa/Vargas...

It should be an interesting competition in spring training. I like the fact that we finally have some young guys worth a damn. (potentially)