SportsWrath

Schoeneweis close to 3-year deal with Mets

Blue Jeans

LINK

The New York Mets are on the verge of signing free-agent pitcher Scott Schoeneweis to a three-year deal, major league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Schoeneweis has experience as a starter and a reliever, but the Mets plan to use the 33-year-old left-hander out of the bullpen. In 71 appearances last season for the Cincinnati Reds and Toronto Blue Jays, Schoeneweis went 4-2 with four saves and a 4.88 ERA. He held left-handed batters to a .236 average and a .292 slugging percentage.

I really don't see a place for him, and he's getting a three year deal. The only thing I could think of is that Omar does not feel confident in William's ability to take on Oliver's long relief role, and wants to make him a starter... that would give you three leftys in our rotation with Glavine, Perez, and Williams...

I'm lost with this one. If you can give this guy a three year deal why not Bradford?

LINK

I really don't see a place for him, and he's getting a three year deal. The only thing I could think of is that Omar does not feel confident in William's ability to take on Oliver's long relief role, and wants to make him a starter... that would give you three leftys in our rotation with Glavine, Perez, and Williams...

I'm lost with this one. If you can give this guy a three year deal why not Bradford?

He's a lefty.

Maybe he's capable of doing what Oliver did for us.

Omar said it's Dave Williams' job to lose going into spring training, so it only leads me to believe Williams will start in place of Pelfrey, and Pelfrey will get more seasoning. I'm still stuck on THREE YEARS, though.

Omar said it's Dave Williams' job to lose going into spring training, so it only leads me to believe Williams will start in place of Pelfrey, and Pelfrey will get more seasoning. I'm still stuck on THREE YEARS, though.

I'm out of respsonses. I guess when we find out more, we'll know what to expect out of him.