SportsWrath

Zito Plan A, what's Plan B?

Blue Jeans

This was a topic on sportscenter about the Mets and people (retards) are talking about it on the Mets.com boards.

Just to put my two cents in, I think it goes down the chain like this.

A: Zito via FA

B: Mulder via FA

C: Vasquez, Westbrook, any other Omar favorite via trade.

D: Go with what we have, Pelfrey, Humber, Soler, Vargas, etc.

What do you think? :ph34r:

I wanted Zito badly, but that is ALOT of money.

Why not rekindle talks for Oswalt?

Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle with our young guns the way Detroit did last year.

It's about time we have some young pitchers to be somewhat excited about, if for nothing more than their "potential".

We still need a bonafide "ace" though. Preferably someone who can bring the heat.

I wanted Zito badly, but that is ALOT of money.

Why not rekindle talks for Oswalt?

Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle with our young guns the way Detroit did last year.

It's about time we have some young pitchers to be somewhat excited about, if for nothing more than their "potential".

We still need a bonafide "ace" though. Preferably someone who can bring the heat.

Oswalt has been signed through the end of this decade at least... He'll be an Astro for a while.

While the oppurtunity is there, it would take a miracle, and I just think MP and PH need a little more minor league experience before we put them out there, especially Humber, since he's missed so long. Pelfrey has only had what, half a year of minor league experience? You can tell he wasn't ready last year.

Omar will go into the season with our "ace" on the 60-Day DL... Now that Zito is gone, Pedro is #1 on the list until next year (some good names, btw) I just don't think there are any 'aces' out there that may be dealt.

In all seriousness we may make a run at trading for Cliff Lee or Jake Westbrook from the Indians, they like what we have in our system (Milledge especially) and would probably look for a deal. If we don't work out a trade with another team for a pitcher, we'll have Pelfrey stepping in at the 5th spot of a very questionable rotation.

Glavine- old, revived his career, can it last?

El Duque- old, pretty solid, doesn't belong at #2

Maine- still young, can he continue the magic from last year?

Perez- his year - 200 IP, 3.26 ERA, 225 K OR 155 IP, 6.43 ERA, 112BB, 170K

Pelfrey- I don't think anyone can make a prediction on him.

Bottom line, if we want to contend, we need another arm.

Oswalt has been signed through the end of this decade at least... He'll be an Astro for a while.

While the oppurtunity is there, it would take a miracle, and I just think MP and PH need a little more minor league experience before we put them out there, especially Humber, since he's missed so long. Pelfrey has only had what, half a year of minor league experience? You can tell he wasn't ready last year.

Omar will go into the season with our "ace" on the 60-Day DL... Now that Zito is gone, Pedro is #1 on the list until next year (some good names, btw) I just don't think there are any 'aces' out there that may be dealt.

In all seriousness we may make a run at trading for Cliff Lee or Jake Westbrook from the Indians, they like what we have in our system (Milledge especially) and would probably look for a deal. If we don't work out a trade with another team for a pitcher, we'll have Pelfrey stepping in at the 5th spot of a very questionable rotation.

Glavine- old, revived his career, can it last?

El Duque- old, pretty solid, doesn't belong at #2

Maine- still young, can he continue the magic from last year?

Perez- his year - 200 IP, 3.26 ERA, 225 K OR 155 IP, 6.43 ERA, 112BB, 170K

Pelfrey- I don't think anyone can make a prediction on him.

Bottom line, if we want to contend, we need another arm.

I am confident that Minaya will pull off some kind of deal for a good pitcher before the end of spring training, or at least before the trade deadline. He keeps saying he's happy with the rotation the way iy is, but does anyone really believe him? He's just got to have other plans in the works.

We also have Rick Peterson to work with the young pitchers. It seems that Zito, Hudson and Mulder just haven't been the same without him, so maybe he can work with these guys and get the most out of them. I'm anxious to see how Perez pitches this season. The guy has nasty stuff. Hopefully he can keep it under control. I said when the Nady trade was made that the deal has the potential to be a steal for the Mets, because I do believe Perez CAN be a very good pitcher in the majors. Let's hope he can build off his Game 7 performance.

I am confident that Minaya will pull off some kind of deal for a good pitcher before the end of spring training, or at least before the trade deadline. He keeps saying he's happy with the rotation the way iy is, but does anyone really believe him? He's just got to have other plans in the works.

We also have Rick Peterson to work with the young pitchers. It seems that Zito, Hudson and Mulder just haven't been the same without him, so maybe he can work with these guys and get the most out of them. I'm anxious to see how Perez pitches this season. The guy has nasty stuff. Hopefully he can keep it under control. I said when the Nady trade was made that the deal has the potential to be a steal for the Mets, because I do believe Perez CAN be a very good pitcher in the majors. Let's hope he can build off his Game 7 performance.

He's going to say he's happy because if he says "We need another starter" when we have PLENTY of options he'll hurt team morale. Beyond his media persona he knows what he has to do. Omar is a very good GM.

I second on Perez.