SportsWrath

cba negotiations

parlintm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2354233

It seems as if the owners have begun to give into some of the demands by the NFLPA. They have moved their percentage of revenue up from 56 to 58 and have agreed to raise this years salary cap by 10 million to about 105 million per team. While this doesnt mean a deal will get done (players are asking for 60%), at least things have started to move.

An extra 10 mill would give the Giants enough room to make at least one big acquisition.

It seems the owners are planning on meeting in the middle. The players should now go down to 58%.

This would also give every other team 10 mil to work with. Its being reported that the Cowboys could be near 30 million in extra cap space. Thats pending a few more cuts and restructured contracts.

Edited by Pizan

It seems the owners are planning on meeting in the middle. The players should now go down to 58%.

This would also give every other team 10 mil to work with. Its being reported that the Cowboys could be near 30 million in extra cap space. Thats pending a few more cuts and restructured contracts.

Ouch, where's that being reported from? Considering they had themselves a very active off-season last year, that's a surprising stat.

Hopefully, Upshaw would be content with 58%.

yes they should. those 2 percent, spread out to every team and then to every player isnt that much money. not agreeing would screw the players that don't make a ton of money. the job of the union is to protect those players and not having a minimum on salaries would really hurt some guys. not coming to an agreement now would be greedy and stupid.

Yes, I realize that every other team gets the money too, but I think the Giants are really very close to being SB contenders. This extra cap, IMO, would be enough to sign a BIG time player (Madison and Law come into mind) as well as having enough to resign Clancy. Those two players = about 10 million. Then we would have the 6 million or so that we were going to originally have to sign vets and rookies to fill any holes we have.

about 20 mill, not 30 mill. That's a big difference. I think if it's moved up to 104 then we'd have roughly 15.

Again Gateb we must read. That isnt counting the restructured contracts of Rivera or Ferguson who will save about 9.6. They are also trying to restructure Allen. They also have a few more cuts that will be made, the biggest could be Al Singleton who would save about 2 million.

If the cap is $94.5 million without a new deal, the Cowboys presently have $8 million to $10 million to spend, although they can easily acquire another $9.6 million with a simple restructuring of the contracts for Jason Ferguson and Marco Rivera.

If there is a new deal, the cap could move to as high as $104 million, and the Cowboys will have roughly $20 million of space and the same ability to create more room.

Now if the cowboys are currently somewhere between 8-10 million and a new CBA is reached that gives them about 20 million. That isnt counting the 9.6 million they will save when they restructure Rivera and Fergusons contracts. They are also trying to restructure Allens contract and could possible cut Singleton. Add that all up, and you are easily at nearly 30 million.

Why can't they agree on 58% this year and maybe next, and then in years that follow, have that percentage increase? Is this negotiation thing really all that difficult? I mean, in the long run, they're all filthy fucking rich and it seems like we're splitting hairs. Maybe it's just me being a frustrated fan with millionaires arguing with millionaires over who should get millions more.

Why can't they agree on 58% this year and maybe next, and then in years that follow, have that percentage increase? Is this negotiation thing really all that difficult? I mean, in the long run, they're all filthy fucking rich and it seems like we're splitting hairs. Maybe it's just me being a frustrated fan with millionaires arguing with millionaires over who should get millions more.

Here's my breakdown of the negotiations. I don't think that the 58 percent is the real problem. I think that we will see this number (or something close) as a final compromise. The problem lies with the big market teams (dallas, washington, new york etc..) who want to limit the revenue sharing. They feel as if they are giving away a large portion of their revenue to the smaller market teams, unfairly. Personally, I think this is all bull shit and they're just being greedy.

Now the big market teams don't really have a problem going calling off the negotiations and going ahead without a salary cap. In the long run, they see themselves dominating the NFL and increasing profits. I don't think this is necesarily true, because if the NFL suffers, so does everyone.

So the biggest issue is the percentage of revenue that goes to the players, but the revenue sharing between the owners. That is what is holding up these negotiations. Hopefully everyone compromise and football can continue as usual this offseason.

Here's my breakdown of the negotiations. I don't think that the 58 percent is the real problem. I think that we will see this number (or something close) as a final compromise. The problem lies with the big market teams (dallas, washington, new york etc..) who want to limit the revenue sharing. They feel as if they are giving away a large portion of their revenue to the smaller market teams, unfairly. Personally, I think this is all bull shit and they're just being greedy.

Now the big market teams don't really have a problem going calling off the negotiations and going ahead without a salary cap. In the long run, they see themselves dominating the NFL and increasing profits. I don't think this is necesarily true, because if the NFL suffers, so does everyone.

So the biggest issue is the percentage of revenue that goes to the players, but the revenue sharing between the owners. That is what is holding up these negotiations. Hopefully everyone compromise and football can continue as usual this offseason.

Houston is part of the mix to because the more money they have to share with other teams means less money available to them to pay down the debt involved in buying the team.

dallas and Washington are the biggest dissenters though. Snyder could give a fuck if teams folded if it meant he lost money.