SportsWrath

You are the GM

Sephiroth

Let's pretend the Giants make the playoffs, either at 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8 (an actual possiblity this year in a shitty NFC). What do you do in the offseason after a first round playoff loss?

What I'd do:

1. Extend Coughlin's contract for two years. That way, if he continues to suck next year, you can get rid of him in the offseason. Make a stipulation: we're only hiring you if you fire both your coordinators (or whoever does the offensive and defensive playcalling).

2. Trade Plax for whatever you can get for him. He's a talented, yet troubled WR; a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens light. His contract is favorable for a trade, even if you only get a fifth or sixth for him, it's better than nothing.

3. Build an offense to punish defenses. Jacobs is the future; get rid of finesse fullback Jim Finn and sign a crushing blocker; a Sam Gash/Charles Way type. Keep Derrick Ward, but sign another power runner to spell Jacobs... perhaps a Duce Staley or Jerome Bettis type. Get a bigger Center and/or Guard (David Diehl wasn't worth the contract). Throw to Shockey; he's big and doesn't go down easily, and draft or sign a big reciever that is like Plax, but actually does his job consistently and doesn't lose the game for you by being a retard. Defenses are small but fast these days; counter that by hitting them in the mouth at every position over and over until they submit. Let the Sinorice Mosses of the team be the speed guys.

4. Sign a veteran backup to Eli. When he sucks, he'll have someone to lean on. If it turns out he just plain sucks, we have an option to go to.

5. For Christ's sakes, draft a cover corner... and a safety or two.

That's my Christmas list. What would you do if we go to the playoffs?

Let's pretend the Giants make the playoffs, either at 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8 (an actual possiblity this year in a shitty NFC). What do you do in the offseason after a first round playoff loss?

What I'd do:

1. Extend Coughlin's contract for two years. That way, if he continues to suck next year, you can get rid of him in the offseason. Make a stipulation: we're only hiring you if you fire both your coordinators (or whoever does the offensive and defensive playcalling).

2. Trade Plax for whatever you can get for him. He's a talented, yet troubled WR; a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens light. His contract is favorable for a trade, even if you only get a fifth or sixth for him, it's better than nothing.

3. Build an offense to punish defenses. Jacobs is the future; get rid of finesse fullback Jim Finn and sign a crushing blocker; a Sam Gash/Charles Way type. Keep Derrick Ward, but sign another power runner to spell Jacobs... perhaps a Duce Staley or Jerome Bettis type. Get a bigger Center and/or Guard (David Diehl wasn't worth the contract). Throw to Shockey; he's big and doesn't go down easily, and draft or sign a big reciever that is like Plax, but actually does his job consistently and doesn't lose the game for you by being a retard. Defenses are small but fast these days; counter that by hitting them in the mouth at every position over and over until they submit. Let the Sinorice Mosses of the team be the speed guys.

4. Sign a veteran backup to Eli. When he sucks, he'll have someone to lean on. If it turns out he just plain sucks, we have an option to go to.

Just to comment on your 1-5

1. IF we make the playoff and go one and done, can him. IF he is able to salvage the season and go deep into the playoffs, then extend it a year but need a whole new crew with him.

2. No to trading Plax.

3. Agree 100%

4. We don't need an vet to backup Eli. He is going to be okay. He has taken a while to develop. Look at some QB's who it has taken a few years to fully develop. Yes he has been a starter for two years but still not there yet.

5. Draft a CB in the first round. Concentrate on the secondary.

What I'd do:

Number 3 please. I want some smash mouth football, with possession receivers who know how to catch the ball. I like number 5 also.

We know Accorsi is gone, and that's good for one big reason. A new GM might want to hire a new coach. :TU:

Sorry TC. I know you are doing your best, I just don't think you are the right guy for this team.

1. TC is gone without new OC/DC. The fact that he needs new OC/DC means he is gone. New HC, new OC, new DC, and most importantly new QB Coach.

2. Plax stays. He is a legit #2 receiver and can be a #1 when he has a fire lit under his ass. Besides which we need all the receiving talent we can get.

3. Agreed on this one. Hopefully Anthony Mix has picked up enough on the practice squad to step it up as a WR. He has the size, now he needs to show the talent. I am hesitant to go to the draft though for a WR.

4. Eli does not suck. When the offense is given play calling that works, he shines. When Hufnagel returns to his retarded "Duuuuuuuhhhh da run dusn't work duuuuuuh" playcalling is when he looks bad. Put him in a balanced playcalling scenario with an OC who has more than one brain cell and he is fine. A lot of the criticism towards Eli is misdirected criticism from dumbkopfs who don't know anything about football. Duuuuuuh the QB has bad stats that must be his fault....that kind of mentality.

5. Nate Clements. He is our #1 FA market target this off-season. If he isn't something is seriously wrong with this new GM staff.

This team was fine prior to injuries. I would leave everything as is with the following exceptions:

1) Hire a decent strength and conditioning coach/trainer. With the exception of true on-the-field injuries (broken bones, concussions, etc.), how the hell is it that we have someone out for a toe injury? There are too many hamstring, quad, pec, etc. injuries that are keeping our starters off the field. (Note as of pregame yesterday, Dallas had no injuries to report in the prior 7 days....you have to wonder why).

2) New OC/DC, no need to explain why.

3) Rebuild the damn secondary. (Why the hell do we always play 5-10 yards off a reciever?).

4) Forget the "big name" free agency signings and go after quality backups for key positions. This organization is not owned by Daniel Snyder.

This team was on a high midway through the season, and has simply imploded on the back half. We have a good group of core players (realizing Tiki will be gone next year), and with proper coaching and training should be a true playoff contender, much as we looked like midway through this season.

What I'd do:

1: Best thing for us to do is wipe the slate clean and sacrifice next season by hiring a new HC, OC, and DC. A new secondary coach wouldn't hurt either.

2: And what? Have Amani as our #1 target and Moss as our #2? with tyree and Carter as 3 and 4? No, keep plax, i think he's begining to see the light.

3: I agree 100 % about dropping Finn and getting a bulldozer. We wouldn't need a pass catching FB if we had coaches capable to using our weapons. Amazingly, our Oline is fine. When healthy, they are a very good young line. We need to focus on D in the draft, specifically secondary.

4: No, we will rise or fall with Eli, we cannot waste money onma veteran QB. We go with what we have at the QB position. Eli is going to be a good QB, jumping off his bandwagon now is going to haunt you later. We can't pull him no matter how bad he plays, he needas to be in there untill we are 100 % sure he'll never make it.

\

5: LSU's FS might be worth targeting. Girbil is fine, but we need a coverage FS.

Just to comment on your 1-5

1. IF we make the playoff and go one and done, can him. IF he is able to salvage the season and go deep into the playoffs, then extend it a year but need a whole new crew with him.

2. No to trading Plax.

3. Agree 100%

4. We don't need an vet to backup Eli. He is going to be okay. He has taken a while to develop. Look at some QB's who it has taken a few years to fully develop. Yes he has been a starter for two years but still not there yet.

5. Draft a CB in the first round. Concentrate on the secondary.

1 - 5 On the money :TU:

2: And what? Have Amani as our #1 target and Moss as our #2? with tyree and Carter as 3 and 4? No, keep plax, i think he's begining to see the light.

I'm not sure I'd go with those two guys, but Plax played a big role two of the last three weeks in our losses. Yeah, I know, he won one for us at the Eagles, and he caught the game tyer that would have brought us in to overtime this week (if we had any other coaching staff in the world).

But I'm tired of guys who play when they feel like it. IMHO, he's gotta go... draft a guy and sign a veteran (not sure who'd I'd get, but as long as his name isn't 'Plaxico' I'm happy). Even if he's not as talented, get someone with fire who likes to play, not someone who rounds off his routes or stops altogether.

What I'd do:

::cough:: I'm with you on trading Plax for Randy Moss. As a GM, I can't think of another way to unload plax.

Fire coughlin and his entire staff of course. Coughlin's style of coaching is no longer "in". These players are mature adults. They should not be treated like kids (strahan being late 5 minutes though he was on time). Hire a players' coach. Someone like Mike Shanahan. The new head coach should bring a solid QB coach with him to help Eli. I like the hefty lefy in our backup spot.

We should replace Tiki with the same style runner. Smash mouth doesn't work all the time and it's good to have two different style RBs.

We should definitely unload Plax and Emmons in the offseason and we should start looking at at solid left tackle. Luke doens't have much left in the tank and let's face it, he only played well this season.

I'm not sure I'd go with those two guys, but Plax played a big role two of the last three weeks in our losses. Yeah, I know, he won one for us at the Eagles, and he caught the game tyer that would have brought us in to overtime this week (if we had any other coaching staff in the world).

But I'm tired of guys who play when they feel like it. IMHO, he's gotta go... draft a guy and sign a veteran (not sure who'd I'd get, but as long as his name isn't 'Plaxico' I'm happy). Even if he's not as talented, get someone with fire who likes to play, not someone who rounds off his routes or stops altogether.

Plax has been a drive killer these past couple of weeks, like you said, and there are plenty of receivers out there who may have less talent, may not make circus catches, and may not always catch the ball, but they at least give it their all on every down.

Wayne Chrebet wasn't an all-star athlete, but he was a receiver who would always be where his route dictated he should be. That is what made him such a clutch receiver, because his QB could throw the ball knowing Chrebet, though not looking for the ball, would turn around at the right moment and grab it.

Right now Eli doesn't have any receivers except for MAYBE Shockey who he can throw the ball on a timing route, because the fact is our receivers can't run timing routes. That is one of many reasons that Eli can't control that have contributed to his slump of late...which is not to say Eli doesn't have his own problems but laying it all on him isn't right.

We should keep Plax and when Toomer went down is when Eli went to shit. Toomer is the crisp route, possession receiver that this team is now lacking. The OC and DC need to go. If 90% of this MB wonders what the fuck is going on with the play calling then there is a serious problem. I know everybody is a Monday morning QB but the play calling is poor. When even the announcers are second guessing the play calling (almost every game) then there is deffinetly a major problem. With all the turmoil I can't imagine that TC or Huff or Lewis will be back. Neither can make adjustments.

Also blaming injuries is a poor excuse. Every team has to deal with injuries.

What I'd do:

1. Yes but fire the oc and dc now.

2. Trade Plax, definitely, for a paraplegic if that's all you can get for him.

3. Get another back and go to a REAL 2-back set with each getting the ball more or less equal numbers of times. Pass 50% of the time or less. In first half, run the ball 65% of the time. In second half, 50%.

4. If you take care of the first 3, Eli will do fine.

5. Definitely. Better yet, sign a FO that is available.

Bonus question: (is this a "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" type question?) mine, I'd cancel church service for the super bowl in order to watch Eli-Peyton II.

1. Yes but fire the oc and dc now.

2. Trade Plax, definitely, for a paraplegic if that's all you can get for him.

3. Get another back and go to a REAL 2-back set with each getting the ball more or less equal numbers of times. Pass 50% of the time or less. In first half, run the ball 65% of the time. In second half, 50%.

4. If you take care of the first 3, Eli will do fine.

5. Definitely. Better yet, sign a FO that is available.

Bonus question: (is this a "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" type question?) mine, I'd cancel church service for the super bowl in order to watch Eli-Peyton II.

The two-back set is considered too old-fashioned by today's offensive coordinators. They are in love with H backs (whatever that is), 4 wides, etc. But don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen.

What I'd do:

1) Screw 2 year extension. He gets a one year extension, with the stipulation that His coordinators and QB coach are gone. Hire away Lovie Smith's DC and install him as Assistant head coach. Make it clear that he would be next in line for the head coaching job, and groom him to work with me. If Coughlin works out, put him in player personnel--in scouting, not dealing with the cap. If not, cut him loose. That way you have fluid transition, and you have your guy ready to go.

2) WRs--like it or not, your stuck with Plax next year. You can't go into the season with Moss and Toomer--Toomer is out with a knee injury, and we don't know what kind of shape he's going to be in when he gets back: especially since he's another year older. I definitely would not be too comfortable relying on Moss yet--2 completions this year, right? Tyree you probably have to keep, although with specials being highly mediocre this year, he's not as definite as he was last year. But either Carter and Jennings are good enough, or they're not. Those spots should be used for draft picks next year and the year following. Healthy draft picks, not recovering ones.

3) Either Lavar goes, or Emmons does. It simply doesn't make sense to keep two players in the same squad that are both injury prone. You're begging for a fiasco in the linebacker crew by keeping both. Especially if Brandon Short, who came on the team recovering from a knee injury, is going to be one of your backups.

4) I wouldn't get rid of the secondary coach just yet. The same problems from last year are popping up this year--that indicates a scheming issue rather than a coaching/player problem. Remember, we had a ton of turnover in the secondary this year--that tells me something else is wrong. There is no excuse for keeping Frank Walker, either. Not when you're waiving Charlie Peprah.

5) The Oline needs a new LT--Pettigout was playing great this year, but he's injured, and Whitfield is meh. Draft another, and if Whimper doesn't challenge, buh-bye. The rest of the OLine doesn't need fixing.

6) Draft a DT. Cofield seems like he'll be a good one; Robbins has been playing very well for us this year (and I was talking about getting rid of him this summer, so that tells you just how well he's done). After that? Seawright has been invisible, Joseph is by no means what you'd expect from a 1st rounder.

7) Increase the stress on flexibility in off-season training. Too many muscle injuries--how many pec tears have we seen the past couple of years?